SUSTAINABILITY & ETHICS
We’re currently working on improving our business model, production processes, sourcing, and overall work ethic to ensure that we’re doing the best we can to create a positive impact within our supply chain.
This includes, but is not limited to:
– Managing waste at our atelier/studio
– Minimising the use of plastic in our day-to-day operations
– Limiting deliveries & pick up schedules to three days per week instead of six
– Updating our packaging options to include environmentally responsible materials
– Building more partnerships with eco-conscious vendors to supply our raw materials
– Hiring local workers and building a supportive network that empowers them
As an independent jewellery brand, we believe first and foremost in making actionable changes in our community.
Our social goal in 2023 is to connect & give opportunities for those in need of extra income.
We will focus on hiring stay-at-home-mums to craft UglyBijoux pieces. This initiative is centred in our city of Yogyakarta, where we hope to make a positive impact on the local community by providing job opportunities and empowering women.
We aim to be transparent about our business processes and sourcing. We’ll be sharing more details in due time about what we’re doing to reduce any negative environmental impact.
There’s a lot of work to be done, but we’re committed to making these changes to operate more sustainably and responsibly.
This page will be regularly updated as we make these improvements.
Stay tuned for more of our progress!
what we've done so far
- Our carton box is made of recyclable material
- We offer a “less packaging” option
- 86% of UglyBijoux products are made-to-order to limit any material waste and overproduction
- We partner with artisans in East Java, Indonesia to hand-make our glass beads from recycled glass waste
- We work with an ethical silver manufacturer and a small-scale silver artisan in Bali, Indonesia to create all of our silver & brass pieces
Shipping & Deliveries
- We limit shipment pick-ups at our studio to twice a week: Tuesdays and Fridays.
- Our pieces are designed and handcrafted thoughtfully. Where possible, we offer free reparation service up to 1 year after purchase. We encourage our clients to repair instead of repurchasing, or worse, tossing their jewellery.